After the massive destruction of World War II, Loris Malaguzzi a native teacher of Reggio Emilia village felt the need for introducing a new methodology of teaching that would help enhance a child's learning experience and would help them form a personality of their own.
With this radical thought came into picture,
The Reggio Emilia Approach that
'A child is endowed with 100 languages'
Grew with parents of Reggio Emilia village supporting Loris Malaguzzi in driving initiative. Soon the pedagogy & its benefits became so increasingly popular that they were adapted by surrounding villages.
Today, the Reggio Emilia approach is a fundamental guiding force with 15k researchers from 34 countries who believe & have experienced the mettle of it.
The program under Reggio Emilia approach is based on the principles of: respect, responsibility, and community through exploration and discovery in a supportive and enriching environment based on the interests of the children through a self-guided curriculum.
Application of the approach
- Happens with children at the center of education process. Under this program every child is believed to be born social. With Reggio Emilia approach help is provided in developing this aspect of the child with other children, family, teachers & community rather than treat them as isolated from all.
- Helps children learn form their experiences & use their different senses
- Emphasizes that children have rights and should be given opportunities to develop their potentials
- Involves teachers & parents to play a crucial role. Teachers observe & learn from children. A child sets their own curriculum and educators help them develop their skills through projects & activities. In this process the teachers work as co-learners & not just as instructors
- Gets parents to participate actively, in order to develop a healthy communication channel for developing programs for the children
- Emphasizes on making learning visible through documentation (vital for keeping track of child's learning experiences)
- Believes in providing enhanced physical environment for better learning.